0

A Letter From The Future To The Old Me

 Dear Me,

First and foremost, I hope you would not be too surprised when you find this letter tucked nicely between your collections of Famous Five Series. I knew that it would be the best place to put this special letter because I knew for a fact that those detective series were your most prized collection for the time being and you would rather die than to lose any of those precious books after you received them as your gift for the Smart Reader Competition.

You might be wondering how on earth would I know that, right? Well, prepare yourself for the shock of your life. Alright, drum roll please, tadaa! I am you and you are me! Confused? Hmm, to make things easier for you, I am you 60 years from now. Yes, you read this correctly and I can assure you that this is not a joke. You might think that this is impossible but please, please read this letter until the end and then you may choose whether to believe me or not.

I am now 72 years old and two years ago, a couple of unknown scientists from Malaysia managed to create a very useful device called Super Teleportation machine. Yes, you may laugh at the lame name, I found it very silly as well. However,   the two scientists were my ex-students and when they presented their so-called creative idea to all the top universities in the world, no one thought that this idea would work. Some of the professors and historians were even concerned about the effect of this device because nobody knew the impact and domino effect of changing something relatively small and how it would transform the world we live in right now.

Finally, after a huge failure in convincing these smart people, my ex-students came back to my place since they had nowhere to go, revised their blueprint and did some extra research and tests. After two years of trial and error, they said that the device was finally ready. However, due to the tight budget, they could only try to test the device one time, without ever knowing whether their invention would be successful or not. 

Then, as I expected, they argued on what they would do with the device. Which event they would change? Could they manage to stop World War I or World War II? Things got out of hand until I stepped in and gave my opinion. Changing something big like stopping a war would be suicidal, who knew what would happen if Hitler was kept alive or the Japanese reigned supreme. So, I told them not to change any big events because the result might be too catastrophic and in the end, I volunteered myself to be their subject and there you have it! My own personal letter to the old me and that’s you, obviously.

I chose to write a letter to the past me, when I was just about 12. That year, if I remembered correctly, was the year I took the UPSR exam. Don’t get too excited, I would not reveal anything on the questions and how you would fare in the exam because I didn’t want to ruin the surprise for you, ha ha! But, there was one thing that I would really want to tell you. After you got your results, you must remember and promise me this one little thing. Whatever the result might be, no matter how hard Mom and Dad begged, asked and finally instructed you, put your feet down firmly, my dear, and say that you want to stay with your family and go to school with your siblings. Do not ask why, just do what I asked you to do and I promised you, life would be better.

Another thing which I would like you to do is to pursue your passion to be a gymnast. I knew doing gymnastics was one of the highlights of your life and you were really happy when you won last year right? Even though it was only a school-level competition, it was one of the moments that you would remember and cherish forever. I knew Dad specifically asked you to forget about gymnastics and focused more on your studies but somehow, I need you to try and make things work. You need to try really hard to balance your passion and your studies, produce excellent results in your exams and make Dad change his mind. I promise you that this is something that you would not regret. If it went well, please pursue your passion right through secondary school and prove to yourself how good you could be if you put your mind and effort on doing this wholeheartedly. 

I couldn’t imagine how my life would change if you really followed my instructions above but if in any part of your life later on and you met someone with curly hair, a cute set of dimples and a smile to kill for, please give this person more attention than you wanted to at that time. Don’t worry, you would know exactly that he would be the one because the first time you saw him, his eyes made your heart skipped a beat. Sure, you might feel that everything was too good to be true or the nasty things that those nosy girls said might have gotten into your head at some point but you have to take my word for this, gave him a chance to say something and who knows what that could lead to.

I should not say too much and who knew how effective this device would be so I think I should stop here. They said I should think of a place where my letter would be safe, a place where there would be the highest chance of this letter to be read by the younger version of me and I also needed to choose the time of deliverance carefully, so as to ensure that this letter would bring some sort of impact to the one I chose to write to. With that in mind, I end this letter with hope that it managed to reach the right person and you would believe everything that I wrote and when the time comes, you would know what to do.

Best wishes in your future undertakings!


                                                                                                                  With love,
                                                                                                                       Me

0 comments:

Back to Top